| || || Matsunaga, Y.|
| || || Comparative taste study on Nile Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus), bottomfish and skipjack tuna in Western Samoa|
Author(s): Bell, L. A. J., Mulipola, A. P., Matsunaga, Y.
Place: Apia (Samoa)
ASFA Keywords: Taste tests; Fish Utilization
Abstract: This study examined the acceptability of the NIle tilapia as a food fish by having the public evaluating its taste against those of other fish cooked in the same way. Nile tilapia were cooked in three different methods, boiled in coconut cream, baked in the Samoan "umu"and smoked. The first two methods are common ways of cooking fish in Western Samoa. For comparison, bottom fish were also cooked in the Samoan "umu". In addition, skipjack and bottomfish were also smoked the same way Nile tilapia was smoked. No other fish, except tilapia was cooked in coconut cream but tasters were asked to compare its taste with other fish, such as reef fish. The results for tilapia cooked in coconut cream indicated that 62 per cent of the respondents preferred Nile tilapia over other fish while the other 38 per cent rated tilapia to be the same as other fish...
© 2009 PIMRIS Coordinator, University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji, Tel (679) 323 2934 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.